Friday, September 9, 2016

The fun thing about having an overactive brain is that I now know a lot of random stuff

Since I don’t sleep much, I watch a ton of videos on Netflix and YouTube. Kind of like setting a crazy toddler down for some good ol’ Mickey Mouse’s Clubhouse, they zone out to the shiny on the screen and you get a break. Since I’m more of a non-fiction kind of person, How It’s Made-type shows, PBS documentaries and other generally ‘boring’ educational docs are what I seek out to let my brain unclick from the world. This has result in a lot of random acquired knowledge over the years.

Backstory: I started thinking my very-varied knowledge base when a lady called me out at Farmer’s last week. Something along the lines of “you really do know a lot of random stuff!” I don’t think this was meant as a complement. Granted, the conversations I was having with other vendors were Folk Arts related, my main field of study outside of school, but it still caught me off guard. It is a lot of random. While I’ll nerd-out frequently with co-workers and the assorted knowledge also lets me do my jobs well, I’m getting better at simply keeping it to myself until specifically asked for help on a topic. I’m moving past the phase of wanting my freak show brain on full display.

It’s personally frustrating too, my brain simply doesn’t stop. It’s all running scenarios, solving problems, making seventeen layers worth of plans for projects or goals and generally running a muck. As entertaining as this is to picture the anarchy, normal sleep or even rest is difficult to maintain. 

Whenever I start to wake up, my brain is already going 0-to-60 before I even open my eyes. Four hours of sleep in a row is pretty good for me, while setting an alarm clock for nine hours in advance is depressing because I know I’ll only be able to get a fraction of that as actual sleep. So that random knowledge is great but it’s not easy on a person to acquire it.

Mostly though, people can think what they want or get grumpy with me but they need to realize that where your energy gets put is where you will grow the most. With any gift comes sacrifices, I just choose to make my sacrifices into a gift instead of a problem.

Squirrel brain evidence, Exhibit A: hello, 3 a.m. blog post.

No comments: